Lexember 3 – imit (v), ‘to run’

In Abul, there are two classes of verbs: Type I applies generally to living things (people, animals, plants, celestial bodies, and bodies of water), and Type II applies to everything else. Most verbs have parallel forms in each type.

My third entry for Lexember is a Type I verb, imit [i.’mit], ‘to run.’

Abul’s verbs are marked using prefixes, and, like French and English, must be used along with pronouns. (In other words, Abul is not a pro-drop language.) There are three verbal prefixes: the singular, ik- [ik], the plural, iš- [iʃ], and the honorific, it- [it].

The pronouns (which are not marked for case) are:

va [va] ‘I’
ma [ma] ‘we (inclusive)’
na [na] ‘we (exclusive)’
val [val] ‘you (singular)’
mal [mal] ‘you (plural)’
nal [nal] ‘they’
ku [ku] ‘he/she’
kul [kul] ‘someone’

So, for example, “I run” would be “va ikimit.” If you’re feeling pretty egotistical, you could say “va itimit.” To use a word from the first entry, “Blemmies run” would be “Abil išimit.” We can’t use this verb with yesterday’s word, uveš, ‘tumor, head’ because it’s inanimate and would produce an ungrammatical sentence – it should instead use the Type II form of ‘to run,’ which is muti.

Tomorrow, I’ll write up a Type II verb, as well as the pronouns that Type II verbs use.

Joseph Pentangelo

About Joseph Pentangelo

I’m a fourth-year doctoral student in linguistics. Research interests include morphology, etymology, onomastics, historical linguistics, Germanic, early modern English and Anglo-American witchcraft, and folklore.

This entry was posted in Lexember. Bookmark the permalink.