Lexember 4

Yesterday, I introduced imit, a Type I verb in Abul, which is used with people, animals, plants, bodies of water, and celestial bodies. Today, I’m introducing a Type II verb, which is used with inanimate nouns: kušu [’ku.ʃu], ‘shatter, break apart’ (intransitive).

The three verbal prefixes are semantically the same as those for Type I verbs, but are morphologically distinct. They are: the singular, ka- [ka], the plural, ša- [ʃa], and the honorific, tulu- [tulu]. (Honorifics are used for especially revered inanimate objects, e.g. antiques, the skeletons of revered ancestors, or the gallstones of lightning-strike victims.)

There are far fewer pronouns used with Type II verbs than with Type I, encompassing:

ak [ak] ‘it’
lin [lin] ‘they’
lik [lik] ‘something’

In Abul, “something breaks apart” is “lik kakušu.” Using vocabulary from two days ago, “the tumor breaks apart” is “uveš kakušu.” Referring back to the first entry, “the things that are normal are breaking apart” is “abil šakušu.”

Tomorrow I’ll give the vocabulary words for some revered inanimate objects, including (but not limited to) those listed above.

Joseph Pentangelo

About Joseph Pentangelo

I’m a fourth-year doctoral student in linguistics. Research interests include morphology, etymology, onomastics, historical linguistics, Germanic, early modern English and Anglo-American witchcraft, and folklore.

This entry was posted in Lexember. Bookmark the permalink.